[lbo-talk] the Mozart Effect, and other textual extrapolations

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 16 09:56:39 PDT 2005

On the other hand, while listening to Cosi Fan Tutti might not make kids smarter, it could improve their musical tastes in the long run.

After a few years adosclecent rebellion with gangsta rap and hip hop of an ugly commercial sort, my daughter has come around to love Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra, Koko Taylor, Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, early Joan Baez, and old-timey country music (Let the Circle Be Unbroken) . . .

At the Blues Festival in Grant Park last weekend we saw Koko Taylor's band and an all-star lineup including Hubert Sumlin, the Wolf's Guitar player from 55 to 75, as well as Pinetop Perkins, now 93 nears old, and the greatest blues piansit in the world along ith Otis Spann and Roosevelt Sykes. They were pleased as punch, Went the next day to catch Buddy Guy, but was too much of a crowd.

My son, age 12, goes in for The Clash, Ennio Morricone, Tom Lehrer . . . . He couldn't identify Bruce Springsteen's sound at a store yesterday, though. Gap in his education. Can ID Armstrong and Dylan.

Wish I'd played them more classical music. I do take them to the opera and musical theater. Hannah's off Sondheim now because I'm such a fan, but that will come back, I think; she does like jazz versions of the great tin pan alley composers.

Btw the first thing each of them heard when just born was Charlie Parker's Now's The Time, seemed appropriate in the circumstances.

jks