[lbo-talk] let's talk about logic ;argument etiquette

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 16:43:02 PDT 2005

chuck: nice. i got nasty. my mistake. and i'm sorry. but now you're down here with me, pal. drink?

let's just remember that the origin of the "appeal to ignorance" thread was precisely a lecture on logic. and the smiley doesn't help.

http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20050530/011203.html

=== Jim Devine commits a divine logical fallacy here called "Appeal to Ignorance: <http://www.fallacyfiles.org/ignorant.html>. The burden of proof is on those who make an improbable claim, such as "God exists," "gods exist," or "I have a herbal remedy that makes your penis three inches longer and thicker." Those who fall for an improbable claim, merely because there is no evidence yet that the claim is untrue, are called "suckers." They are the ones who fuel the economy of spam. :-> ===

i tend to respond to condescension with condescension and disrespect with disrespect.

i apologize for cutting into yoshie, and in particular to charles, who explained straw person to me as if i didn't know what it was when i said it, but certainly did not deserve the dismissal i gave him. it was uncalled for.

On 6/16/05, Charles Brown <cbrown at michiganlegal.org> wrote:

> >Jeffrey Fisher
>
> >i'm getting really tired of your condescension.
>
> Yoshie: You've said something similar several times, but I don't believe I
> have said anything that belittles your intelligence though you have mine.
>
> ^^^^
> CB: Yea, he's really tired evidently. He told me he was tired of being
> lectured on logic. It was he who raised a point of logic.

yes, i said it was a straw person. your defense that it was not was not persuasive. but i admit i copped out on explaining why. as i say, i was really tired. i'm sorry i hurt you so, since apparently it stung enough that you're still rubbing it.

and please do recall that it was yoshie who started the "appeal to ignorance" thread, and with a definition of the fallacy, too. thanks.

> I hadn't said a
> word to him. I just responded to his comment on logic.

"just responded" with an explanation to poor wittew me of an expwanation of the fawwacy. you were attacking a version of the argument that was not being made, and one much easier to take apart. that's what i call a straw person.

> Then he implied I

i didn't imply it. i said it.

> can't "see" what I'm doing. ( "i'm getting really tired of lectures on logic
> from people who can't see what they're doing.").

well, you didn't recognize it as the straw person it was. what else was i supposed to say? oh, you're right, that IS a straw person would have been so much better?

> Woooo !! The LBO prayer: Lord give me strength to avoid _ad hominem_ (
> that's just a figure of speech).

again, i remind you it was yoshie who started with all the logic, and with precisely a lecture. don't come pointing at me unless you've got the goods.

> He's getting some real nasty zingers in interstitially around his
> professorial commentary on religion.

i'm sorry. next time i'll make like i don't know what i'm talking about and quote definitions of fallacies. would that suit you better?

> He "knows you are not that dense."

> That's real cute.

actually, i wasn't even being sarcastic. the point was she was avoiding the point.

> I think his approach is he can insult your intelligence, but if you defend
> yourself, he gets immediately "tired".
> We may have here a guy who talks to people condescendingly , and then
> somehow gets it in his head that _he_ is the one being condescended to.
> What's the name for that ?
>
> More Jeffrey Fischer:

> ah, i was beginning to miss the lectures in logic (not). but still,
> yoshie to the rescue...
>
> ...to Yoshie: i'm sorry, but i'm getting really tired of your condescension.
> you're smart and often right ( well thank you so much Mr. Fischer)> AND i
> have agreed with a lot of what you've
> said in these threads (as carrol noted), but you treat everyone like an
> idiot and it's f-ing annoying. it only gets in the way of making your
> points, and, well, and learning anything, but since you don't seem to think
> you have anything to learn from anyone here, i can see why that wouldn't
> bother you.
>

> CB: oohhh , you nasty boy.

oh, please, chuck, can you ever forgive me?

-- Among medieval and modern philosophers, anxious to establish the religious significance of God, an unfortunate habit has prevailed of paying to Him metaphysical compliments.

- Alfred North Whitehead