[lbo-talk] Rationality of the Masses

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Jun 19 16:45:04 PDT 2005

Michael Pollak wrote:

> Now imagine an alternative universe in which we fully supported them, in the
> sense that we identified with them, we considered them to be our side. That
> would entirely change the playing field.

Michael, I haven't digested yet your first two long posts, but I think they are invaluable whether in the end they are right or wrong. But this is either so general that I can't understand it, or it is serious empirical bullshit.

You seem to be saying that we (leftists in some undefined sense of "left") should join the Methodist Church and help Methodist liberals defeat Methodist homophobes. You seem also to be suggesting that "we" (whoever precisely "we" refers to here) have refused to work with "liberal christians" and have attacked them instead.

I don't think you can mean this, but if this isn't what you mean, then I am truly baffled by this post.

For it is simply false. Almost all leftists have always been more than willing to work with -- in fact have worked with -- any xtians who were engated in struggling for progressive causes. What are you talking about?

Carrol