[lbo-talk] Straw in the wind: Republican base dividing on Iraq

Chip Berlet c.berlet at publiceye.org
Mon Jun 20 11:34:59 PDT 2005

Hi,

See below:

I'm tempted to continue the metaphor and talk about gang rape and multiple perps. (however, as someone has already pointed out, the "wad" was used in muzzle-loaded firearms--so we need to be careful about semen-ticks)

But...

Right-wing appointees to the federal bench will help narrow the boundaries of political opportunities for the left for the next 20-30 years.

Conservative Christian evangelicals are the largest single voting bloc in the Republican Party.

A dualistic version of apocalyptic millennialism has become a paradigm for many people in our society, from secular neoconservatives to the Christian Right to Patriot movement xenophobes.

Many Democratic Party pundits still cling to the idea that pasting silly names on the opposition ("religious political extremist," "radical religious right") is more effective than developing actual policies that challenge Republican/conservative ideology.

Same with the idiotic idea that Framing alone wins power struggles, when any sophomore sociology major can list what a successful mass social movement needs is more than Framing:

*Core ideological vision. *Leaders with an authentic voice and the trust of their followers. *Resources in the form of money, people, access, etc. *Grievances turned into a practical program with a realitic chance for success. *Skillful framing of ideas and issues. *Ability to exploit opportunities in the political system. *An attractive movement culture including narratives about past struggles and celebrations of the present and hope for the future through ritual, music, performance, art, stories. *The ability of recruits to craft a compelling movement identity.

A large vibrant social movement pulls political movements--not the other way around.

-Chip Berlet