[lbo-talk] Hersh

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jun 20 11:41:32 PDT 2005

I didn't get down to the Marxist Literary Group's annual chatfest in time to hear Seymour Hersh's presentation on Thursday night, but highlights recounted to me include:

* the country is being run by 8 or 9 people, in complete isolation from the rest of the gov

* there's no grand plan in Iraq - the gang of 8 or 9 really believes its own propaganda about democratization - he contrasted this with Kissinger, who, though perfectly willing to kill thousands, would have had some kind of grand oil deal in mind at the end of the carnage

* Cheney's in charge, and W's out of the loop

* they're going to bomb the shit out of Iran, but there aren't enough free ground troups to mount an invasion

* Cheney wants to run for pres in '08

* things are really really bad, though there's some hope for the '06 election

He concluded by saying he was going home "to brood."

Doug