[lbo-talk] Re:anti-capitalist films?

paul childs npchilds at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 21 08:38:59 PDT 2005

> American Beauty, the Matrix, and Fight Club are all great
> anti-capitalist movies.

But nothing, nothing compares with 'Worker and Parasite' from the Krusty the Klown episode when Itchy and Scratchy were unavailable.

I thought the slug line for 'American Beauty' was 'Look Again', or 'Look Deeper' or something like that. The point being that behind the green hedges, lawns and literally red, white and blue houses there are deeply weird things going on; teenagers having sex (okay, that’s not weird), closeted homosexuals who feel they can only come out through acts of violence, women unable to distinguish sex from success from love ('Fuck me your majesty!') and deeply troubled but ultimately decent people trying to cope within a sick system.

If not anti-capitalist the definitely anti-bourgeois.

PC

N P Childs

'I'm Mister Bad Example, the stranger in the dirt, I like to have a good time and I don't care who gets hurt'.

-Mr. Bad Example, W Zevon