[lbo-talk] Gulag thing - Chris is on to something (if by accident)

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 23 15:18:48 PDT 2005

Well, what does "Western liberalism" mean? Some kind of mimicry of Western European/US systems of government? Russia's not a nation-state and it's not a settler-colony (with the indigenous population exterminated, like in the US or Australia). So no in that sense, that just won't work. If by "Western liberalism" one means being tolerant and allowing the desire of the people to influence things, sure. I find it funny when people talk about a "rollback of democracy in Russia" when in fact the Putin gov is far more responsive to the people's needs that the Yeltsin gov was. If you have media outlets controlled by the mafia, that's democracy!