[lbo-talk] When is private property NOT?

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 09:55:22 PDT 2005

it looks like Doug & Joanna have answered Woj on this matter, except for the following paragraph:

Woj writes: >I know for the fact that this benefited predominantly Black families who were able to move to decent housing free of drug and gang infestation. Those who were decrying "destruction of neighborhoods with character" were mainly white suburbanites led, inter alia, by the current Maryland Gauleiter Ehrlich, who feared that the ACLU law suit would bring more blacks to white burbs.<

It may be that some cases of "negro removal" (using eminent domain) work out well. But I would predict that these are the cases where the Black community was empowered -- or, rather, empowered itself -- beforehand. In Chicago, the community was not so empowered and ended getting the short end of the stick.

The key thing is not abstract property rights but who has the power.

BTW, I've found that flames are more likely to be avoided and the general tone remains more balanced if Nazi analogies ("Gauleiter Ehrlich") are avoided -- unless they actually apply (which is rare).

JD