[lbo-talk] Sad Songs Say So Much

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 24 11:53:01 PDT 2005

On Friday, June 24, 2005 11:10 AM [PDT], joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

> If memory serves, the guy who collaborated on "Strange Fruit" was a
> commie who wound up adopting the Rosenberg children.
>
> I used to teach "Strange Fruit" in English Comp...back in my days as
> an English Prof....as a
> perfect example of a Renaissance conceit (extended metaphor),
> translated to modern times.
>
> joanna
> ---------------
> Southern trees bear strange fruit,
> Blood on the leaves and blood at the root,
> Black bodies swinging in the southern breeze,
> Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees.
>
> Pastoral scene of the gallant south,
> The bulging eyes and the twisted mouth,
> Scent of magnolias, sweet and fresh,
> Then the sudden smell of burning flesh.
>
> Here is fruit for the crows to pluck,
> For the rain to gather, for the wind to suck,
> For the sun to rot, for the trees to drop,
> Here is a strange and bitter crop.

That was the song, according to a bbc special, that caused the FBI to begin spooking her, which it has been isinuated, was one of the forces that kept her need for powders going. (cf. Lenny Bruce)

I might have a mp3 rip of that bbc special around... I'll check.

Nope... But I did find this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/soldonsong/songlibrary/covers/strangefruit.shtml

Leigh http://www.leighm.net

-- Zero Surprises: No virus found in this outgoing message // lcm Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.323 / Virus Database: 267.8.1/28 - Release Date: 6/24/2005