[lbo-talk] When is private property NOT?

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 24 12:20:01 PDT 2005

On Friday, June 24, 2005 11:52 AM [PDT], Nathan Newman <nathanne at nathannewman.org> wrote:

> New York City just voted to require that renters in low-income housing
> converted to condos be given the right to buy those units at market
> prices. Again, this is a form of eminent domain by local government
> that would be legally
> suspect if the Kelo decision had gone the other way.
>
> Nathan Newman

It's uneven regarding what's done with the original dwellers,

Here, the city is allowing the seaside corp.(boardwalk) to buy up all the property in the beach flats nearby. The (mostly chicano) community is being moved to a variety of urban public housing that I like to call "condo supermaxes" [heh]. Unfortunately, in the original housing arrangement, privately owned cottages and long- ago-converted motels, there were no legal restrictions, except perhaps health and child protective, on how many people could live in one of those cottages or rooms.

Not so once the federal and state grants, section 8 etc come into the picture. Quite a few of the displaced residents found themselves living in the SC mountains, far away from work in the downtown area restaurants[sneer]... with crappy bus service.

It worked for the county's "planners", I guess. The "okies" that were living in the mountains have mostly sold their houses for large profits to non-locals who work and live elsewhere and there is somewhat of a glut in rental housing now.

Leigh http://www.leighm.net

Send more tourists.... The last ones were Delicious!

-- Zero Surprises: No virus found in this outgoing message // lcm Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.323 / Virus Database: 267.8.1/28 - Release Date: 6/24/2005