[lbo-talk] Unocal, China and the Middle East

Mycos mycos at shaw.ca
Mon Jun 27 12:24:09 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:
> Mycos wrote:
>
>> Now here's something you can be sure has the neocon's full attention.
>> Many, including myself, feel that a great deal of US behaviour in the
>> Middle East, particularly Afghanistan and Iraq, can be traced back to
>> the Unocal pipeline that is being proposed to run through those very
>> areas.
>

> Oh really? Can you think of any sane businessperson that would invest
> billions in a pipeline across Afghanistan, one of the least stable
> places in the world (and with little hope for that changing in the
> forseeable future), when other alternatives are available? And if this
> really were the US motive, wouldn't they be doing a bit more to
> stabilize the country than sending the occasional patrol around to hunt
> for random Taliban?
>
> Doug

The pipeline isn't a fantasy of my own making*, so apparently there has to be *some* businessmen who see the project as worth pursuing, or pursuing once American friendly governments have been installed.

And you say "wouldn't they be doing a bit more?"

How much more do you want? The military has invaded Afghanistan, installed a puppet government, and continues to "secure" US Middle-eastern interests through the invasion of Iraq, tough talk on Syria, Iran, Turkey, etc. etc.

* (*Editors Note | Since September 11th, 2001, there has been intense speculation regarding Bush administration negotiations with the Taliban regarding this very project prior to the attacks. American petroleum giant Unocal very much wanted this project for years, but it was stymied in 1998 after bin Laden blew up two American embassies in Africa, causing the Taliban to be diplomatically isolated. There are a number of reports that describe a reinvigoration of this pipeline plan after Bush took office, and further describe the Bush administration's negotiations with the Taliban including threats of war if the project was not allowed to pass through Afghanistan. Some say these threats, in the name of the pipeline, triggered the 9/11 attacks. The Taliban is gone, Afghan President Harmid Karzai is a former Unocal consultant, and the pipeline deal is finally done. - wrp)

Agreement On US 3.2 Billion Gas Pipeline Project Signed PakNews.com

December 28, 2002

Pakistan, Afghanistan and Turkmenistan on Friday signed here a framework agreement for a US $ 3.2 billion gas pipeline project passing through the three countries.

The ceremony was held at the Presidential Palace with the three leaders, Prime Minister Mir Zafarullah Khan Jamali, President Saparmurat Niyazov of Turkmenistan and Afghan President Hamid Karzai signing the document.

The framework agreement defines legal mechanism for setting up a consortium to build and operate the pipeline.

According to a study by Asian Development Bank (ADB), the 1460 km pipeline would use gas reserves at Dauletabad fields in Turkmenistan, which has world's fifth largest reserves, while passing through Afghanistan into Pakistan. "Thursday, December 4, 1997 Published at 19:27 GMT

http://www.truthout.org/docs_02/12.30A.afgh.pipe.htm "

Or http://www.google.ca/search?biw=1014&hl=en&q=UNocal%2C+Oil+pipeline+%27afghanistan&btnG=Google+Search&meta= --

Gary Williams

"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign." - John Stuart Mill

http://mycos.blogspot.com/

Todays Iraq Body Count

Min Max

22563 25560