[lbo-talk] Unocal, China and the Middle East

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jun 28 06:36:20 PDT 2005

Mycos wrote:

>They took the opportunity presented by 9/11 to put a pipeline
>friendly government in place in Afghanistan. Hence Karzai. Someone
>mentioned that because he only controls Kabul that this is some kind
>of proof that there hasn't been an effort by the US to put in an
>*OIL* pipeline. That means nothing. We were supposed to be out of
>Iraq in 6 weeks as well. Are you seriously suggesting that because
>Karzai's power is limited, that this is what the US wants?

The U.S. has done almost nothing to stabilize Afghanistan. Doing so would need large numbers of troops and large amounts of aid necessary to build the Afghan state and infrastructure.

Why is it so hard to believe that the U.S. attacked Afghanistan because the people who planned 9/11 were based there? And why is it always about oil? Is imperialism that one-dimensional?

Doug