[lbo-talk] happy Stonewall

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 28 12:05:25 PDT 2005

On Tuesday, June 28, 2005 11:25 AM [PDT], Tommy Kelly <tkelly15450 at charter.net> wrote:

>> On this day in 1969, nine plainclothes policeman enter the
>> Stonewall Inn at 53 Christopher Street intending to shut down the
>> bar for operating without a liquor license. They arrest a bartender,
>> doorman, and three transvestites and then try to leave. The key word
>> here being "try." An angered crowd begins throwing bricks, bottles
>> and even coins at the officers who retreat into the Stonewall |...|
>
>> Things finally calm down after about forty-five
>> minutes, but the gay rights movement will never be the same.
>

> What a minute, what a minute... the gay rights movement started over
> fucking alcohol? What kind of gays where they? Irish? German?

That the point in the question I posed earlier. It wasn't about parties and alcohol. I suspect that the middleclass gay antiwar organizers were working out of the Stonewall, the way the more radical crowd was based at the Firehouse. The "vice" thing was just an excuse.

Where I live, the whole gay scene revolves around bars(pitiful), and it appears to be a combination of historical revisionism and wishful thinking that drives certain parts of the Stonewall legend.

Which leads in to: On Tuesday, June 28, 2005 9:40 AM [PDT], Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> [capitalism can be endlessly flexible...]

http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20050627/013507.html

Leigh http://www.leighm.net

-- Zero Surprises: No virus found in this outgoing message // lcm Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.323 / Virus Database: 267.8.5/32 - Release Date: 6/27/2005