[lbo-talk] Unocal, China and the Middle East

Mycos mycos at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 28 13:57:53 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:
> Mycos wrote:
>
>> They took the opportunity presented by 9/11 to put a pipeline friendly
>> government in place in Afghanistan. Hence Karzai. Someone mentioned
>> that because he only controls Kabul that this is some kind of proof
>> that there hasn't been an effort by the US to put in an *OIL*
>> pipeline. That means nothing. We were supposed to be out of Iraq in 6
>> weeks as well. Are you seriously suggesting that because Karzai's
>> power is limited, that this is what the US wants?
>

> The U.S. has done almost nothing to stabilize Afghanistan. Doing so
> would need large numbers of troops and large amounts of aid necessary to
> build the Afghan state and infrastructure.
>
> Why is it so hard to believe that the U.S. attacked Afghanistan because
> the people who planned 9/11 were based there? And why is it always about
> oil? Is imperialism that one-dimensional?
>
> Doug

Well Doug, in all honesty I can say that from everything I have seen and read, profit taking is 'a' , if not 'the', primary engine of imperialism. Repeatedly, throughout history, gold, spices, silk, and now oil are very strong motivating factors. By contrast, countries that have become "more trouble than they're *worth*" have been shed from the imperium.

Afghanistan was attacked and the Taliban toppled. A "friendly" (Karzai) was put in in place. But for whatever reason, Bush went after Iraq. This has resulted in the quagmire that we now see, the result of which is that Bush would be extremely hard-pressed to build up troop levels in Afghanistan towards any number that could dominate the country, if that's even possible *at all*, Iraq-conflict or not.

In any case, there seems to be an assumption that I meant that oil was *the only* reason for the attack on Afghanistan. No, I did not mean that nor do I think it. However, I do believe that for some in the administration, and for many lobbiests and presidential advisers, oil is their prime motivating factor. It is most certainly, to my mind at least, one of the primary considerations that went into the attack. --

Gary Williams

"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign." - John Stuart Mill

http://mycos.blogspot.com/

Todays Iraq Body Count

Min Max

22582 25590