[lbo-talk] Unocal, China and the Middle East

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 09:54:14 PDT 2005

Doug:
> > Why is it so hard to believe that the U.S. attacked Afghanistan because the people who planned 9/11 were based there? And why is it always about oil? Is imperialism that one-dimensional? <<

I guess if one sees imperialism as one-dimensional, it's easier to beat.

In reality, the US invaded Afghanistan for a variety of reasons (including the fact that it was an easy target, as least in the short run). Government policies reflect coalitions of different groups with different goals. (This is also true of so-called "totalitarian" governments.)

Chris:
> I think there's also a problem with the "puppet
> government" concept.

People should replace the metaphor with that of a "pet government." Ace is my pet, but being a cat, she also has a mind of her own. Alas, she sometimes thinks outside the box... -- Jim Devine "Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti." (Go your own way and let people talk.) -- Karl, paraphrasing Dante.