[lbo-talk] Fw: [CARR-L] Corruption Income Inequality and Growth

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 28 14:23:30 PDT 2005

The link: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=690381

Leigh

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dwight Hines" <dwight.hines at GMAIL.COM> To: <CARR-L at LISTSERV.LOUISVILLE.EDU> Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 8:48 AM Subject: [CARR-L] Excuse cross-posting: CORRUPTION, INCOME INEQUALITY

AND GROWTH: EVIDENCE FROM U.S. STATES

This paper looks good & is available for free download. What would be good to add as a predictor would be transparency, as measured (estimated roughly) by the media sunshine surveys on compliance with open record laws. If anyone has other suggestions on measuring transparency or getting a numeric indication of state transparency, please let me know.

dh ===================== CORRUPTION, INCOME INEQUALITY AND GROWTH: EVIDENCE FROM U.S. STATES By Oguzhan C. Dincer* and Burak Gunalp**

Abstract: In this paper we analyze the effects of corruption on income inequality and growth. The analysis advances the existing literature in two ways. First, instead of using corruption indices assembled by various investment risk services, we use an objective measure of corruption: the number of public officials convicted in a state for crimes related to corruption. Second, we avoid comparing different countries by examining the differences in income inequality, growth, and corruption across U.S. states. Data on corruption as well as on income inequality and growth in U.S. states are more comparable than those for different countries, and U.S. states are more similar in other dimensions which are difficult to measure. Third, we employ 4-year and 5-year panels of income inequality and growth to control for unobserved state characteristics. We find robust evidence that increase in corruption (1) increases the Gini Coefficient of income inequality, and (2) decreases the income growth.

* (Corresponding Author)

Department of Commerce

Massey University

Private Bag 102904

North Shore Mail Centre

Auckland

New Zealand

o.c.dincer at massey.ac.nz

** Department of Economics

Hacettepe University

Beytepe 06532

Ankara

Turkey

=30=

-- Zero Surprises: No virus found in this outgoing message // lcm Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.323 / Virus Database: 267.8.6/33 - Release Date: 6/28/2005