[lbo-talk] Re: affirm, or shut up?

frank scott frank at marin.cc.ca.us
Tue Jun 28 17:04:58 PDT 2005

>"...Anti-aff action is
>inherently a bad position in a racist society. There is _nothing_ good to be said in favor of opposing AA..."

if one unquestionably accepts lesser evil arguments, for sure...the same would be true of anti-kerry, anti-democratic party and other such arguments...

but there is a helluva lot of crit to be made of aa from an anti-capitalist perspective, or even from a simple pro-change perspective of the system, without clarity about its roots...

aa helps many people and we'd be even uglier without it, but it's no secret why corporate america is its biggest supporter, as are other mainstream institutions...pretense as to its "radical" nature is just that

when aa begins helping the overwhelming majority of folks who are not middle class or higher, it will be quite something else than what it is and has been: a system enhancing program...

you affirm the system, you get action... period.

there's plenty to criticize in that, at least for some of us...

fs