[lbo-talk] Re: affirm, or shut up?

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 28 19:59:00 PDT 2005

OK, since Frank puts it that way, I hereby adopt lersser-evilism. Did a while back, but I decided some time ago that it wasn't enough to be right, you have to be effective. (There was an old German emigre who said something about that, interoreting the world ad changing it?)

The ultras are pure but ineffective, what Kierkegaard called beautiful souls. Capitalism isn't going away for the foreseeable future, so what the left does is fight to preserve or if possible entend reforms like AA. That implicates us in defending elements of the system that sustain it. Sorry. The alternative is irrelevance.

Higher wages can be criticized as a goal too -- Mike Ballard wilkl remind us we want to abolish the wage system, not win better payment for the slave (that old emigre again). Sure. In the meantime, we fight for higher wages.

Frank and other ultras can call that affirming thesystem if they like, I don't really care. I just want to use the time remaining me to make a small difference that actually helps people rather than fastidiously maintaining positions that are correct from a maximalist pov. The issue is not one to debate, since the ultras will not be persuaded and neither will I.