[lbo-talk] HealthSouth

Tommy Kelly tkelly15450 at charter.net
Tue Jun 28 17:56:12 PDT 2005

> After the verdict, Scrushy hugged his wife, his lawyers and
>Bishop Jim Lowe, pastor of predominantly black Guiding Light Church
>Scrushy joined after his indictment in what some critics called an
>attempt to influence the potential jury pool.

Well, Tuscaloosa is only an hour from Birmingham and the news yapped on and on about this crap from God only knows how long. Anyway, the reason Scrushy got off is simple: first he played the race card - moving to a church that was predominately black. There still are a lot of black people in Birmingham and around the city; therefore, it made him look a lot less slimy. Second the prosecutor did a lousy job, and they had plenty of time to work out a strategy. From what I've heard, Scrushy was the typical CEO persona but even I have my doubts that he was guilty of the crime... but I still think he is a sleazy scumbag. Go figure. Tommy