[lbo-talk] noonan on obama

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Wed Jun 29 13:03:50 PDT 2005

Why would you praise this piece of crap? Is overcoming racism so easy that Noonan's flippant treatment of Obama's struggles as a mixed race kid should be respected?

And unlike Lincoln, who spent much of his pre-political career shilling for wealthy railroad corporations, Obama became a community organizer for working poor communities. See http://www.hwwilson.com/currentbio/cover_bios/cover_bio_7_05.htm "[Obama got a job at] Developing Communities Project, a nonprofit coalition of secular and church groups on the South Side of Chicago. For three years he canvassed the neighborhood door-to-door and met with local business and political leaders in efforts to save manufacturing jobs, launch job-training programs, and improve city services in South Side housing projects. "

My fiance had him as a teacher when he became a law prof and thinks he's the real deal, a lefty with convictions and, yes, enough pragmatism to survive in the political world.

Why support tearing down one of the best guys out there for our side?

-- Nathan

----- Original Message ----- From: "snitsnat" <snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com> To: "Lame Brained Onanists" <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 3:31 PM Subject: [lbo-talk] noonan on obama

heh. from another list. I'll leave the msg from the conservative in brackets for gits and shiggles)

http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/pnoonan/?id=110006884

(And by the way, this isn't simply Democrat-bashing. Noonan also criticizes Republicans in this piece. But her dismantling of Obama, who recently compared himself to Abraham Lincoln, is priceless. Here it is:)

[snip]

This week comes the previously careful Sen. Barack Obama, flapping his wings in Time magazine and explaining that he's a lot like Abraham Lincoln, only sort of better. "In Lincoln's rise from poverty, his ultimate mastery of language and law, his capacity to overcome personal loss and remain determined in the face of repeated defeat--in all this he reminded me not just of my own struggles."

Oh. So that's what Lincoln's for. Actually Lincoln's life is a lot like Mr. Obama's. Lincoln came from a lean-to in the backwoods. His mother died when he was 9. The Lincolns had no money, no standing. Lincoln educated himself, reading law on his own, working as a field hand, a store clerk and a raft hand on the Mississippi. He also split some rails. He entered politics, knew more defeat than victory, and went on to lead the nation through its greatest trauma, the Civil War, and past its greatest sin, slavery.

Barack Obama, the son of two University of Hawaii students, went to Columbia and Harvard Law after attending a private academy that taught the children of the Hawaiian royal family. He made his name in politics as an aggressive Chicago vote hustler in Bill Clinton's first campaign for the presidency.

You see the similarities.

There is nothing wrong with Barack Obama's résumé, but it is a log-cabin-free zone. So far it also is a greatness-free zone. If he keeps talking about himself like this it always will be. Mr. Obama said he keeps a photographic portrait of Lincoln on the wall of his office, and that "it asks me questions."

I'm sure it does. I'm sure it says, "Barack, why are you such an egomaniac?" Or perhaps, "Is it no longer possible in American politics to speak of another's greatness without suggesting your own?"

(Just so. Mr. Obama, we know Lincoln, and you're no Abraham Lincoln.)

redacted

"Finish your beer. There are sober kids in India."

-- rwmartin