[lbo-talk] nabbing Souter's house?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jun 29 13:55:57 PDT 2005

[via Sam Smith's Progressive Review]

JUDGE SOUTER'S HOUSE THREATENED WITH EMINENT DOMAIN

WASHINGTON TIMES - A businessman has asked the town of Weare, N.H., to seize the home of U.S. Supreme Court Justice David H. Souter in order to build a hotel and museum on the property. Logan Darrow Clements faxed a request to Chip Meany, Weare's code-enforcement officer, seeking to start the application process to build a hotel at 34 Cilley Hill Road, the site of Mr. Souter's home. . . Mr. Clements, CEO of Freestar Media LLC, said the town would gain greater tax revenue and economic benefits with a hotel on 34 Cilley Hill Road than allowing Justice Souter to own the land. The proposed development, called the Lost Liberty Hotel, would feature the Just Desserts Cafe and include a museum, open to the public, featuring a permanent exhibit on the loss of freedom in America, Mr. Clements said. . . "This is not a prank," Mr. Clements said. "The town of Weare has five people on the Board of Selectmen. If three of them vote to use the power of eminent domain to take this land from Mr. Souter, we can begin our hotel development."

http://www.washtimes.com/national/inpolitics.htm