[lbo-talk] nabbing Souter's house?

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 23:34:42 PDT 2005

On Wednesday, June 29, 2005 1:55 PM [PDT], Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> [via Sam Smith's Progressive Review]
>
> JUDGE SOUTER'S HOUSE THREATENED WITH EMINENT DOMAIN
>
> WASHINGTON TIMES - A businessman has asked the town of Weare, N.H.,
> to seize the home of U.S. Supreme Court Justice David H. Souter in
> order to build a hotel and museum on the property. Logan Darrow
> Clements faxed a request to Chip Meany, Weare's code-enforcement
> officer, seeking to start the application process to build a hotel at
> 34 Cilley Hill Road, the site of Mr. Souter's home. . . Mr. Clements,
> CEO of Freestar Media LLC, said the town would gain greater tax
> revenue and economic benefits with a hotel on 34 Cilley Hill Road
> than allowing Justice Souter to own the land. The proposed
> development, called the Lost Liberty Hotel, would feature the Just
> Desserts Cafe and include a museum, open to the public, featuring a
> permanent exhibit on the loss of freedom in America, Mr. Clements
> said. . . "This is not a prank," Mr. Clements said. "The town of
> Weare has five people on the Board of Selectmen. If three of them
> vote to use the power of eminent domain to take this land from Mr.
> Souter, we can begin our hotel development."
>
> http://www.washtimes.com/national/inpolitics.htm

More... http://news.findlaw.com/ap/o/632/06-29-2005/fe8f0019890aa0db.html

<...> A few police cruisers were parked on the edge of Souter's property Tuesday.

"It was a precaution, just being protective," said Lt. Mark Bodanza.

Clements is the CEO of Los Angeles-based Freestar Media that fights "abusive" government through a Web site and cable show. He plans to move to New Hampshire soon as part of the Free State Project, a group that supports limiting government powers, the Monitor reported.

The letter was passed along to the board of selectmen. If the five-member board were to endorse the hotel project, zoning laws would have to be changed and the hotel would have to get approval from the planning board. Messages seeking comment were left with Laura Buono, board chairwoman.

"Am I taking this seriously? But of course," said Charles Meany, Weare's code enforcement officer. "In lieu of the recent Supreme Court decision, I would imagine that some people are pretty much upset. If it is their right to pursue this type of end, then by all means let the process begin."

Souter's two-story colonial farmhouse is assessed at a little more than $100,000 and brought in $2,895 in property taxes last year. <...>

100,000... that's gotta be wrong... or a 30 year old assesment.

Leigh http://www.leighm.net