[lbo-talk] Hello Senator Boxer: Fighting Methamphetamine

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 19:20:54 PDT 2005

This just in from Barbara Boxer.

And my reply...

Leigh http://www.leighm.net

----- Original Message ----- From: "U.S. Senator Barbara Boxer" <BulletinFeedback at boxer.senate.gov> To: <leighcmeyers at yahoo.com> Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 6:30 PM Subject: Senator Boxer: Fighting Methamphetamine

I thought you would be interested in the following message.

Dear Friend:

Few drugs have had such an impact on California communities as methamphetamine. No area of the state has been spared the wrath of this highly addictive drug. Rural areas are often the manufacturing sites of this drug, and counties and the state often spend huge sums for both the prosecution and incarceration of those found guilty of possession of methamphetamine and for mental health programs that must deal with the long-term consequences of addiction. Abandoned labs used to manufacture methamphetamine are a threat to people living nearby and can contaminate buildings, adjacent land and groundwater.

I recently joined almost 30 of my Senate colleagues in cosponsoring the Combat Meth Act of 2005, S.103, authored by Senator Jim Talent (R-MO). This legislation authorizes funds to provide training to state and local prosecutors and law enforcement agents for investigation and prosecution of methamphetamine offenses, including a set-aside for prosecutors and law enforcement agents working in rural communities. It expands public safety and creates a community policing grant program to hire personnel and purchase equipment to assist in enforcement of methamphetamine laws. It also more tightly controls the drugs used to manufacture methamphetamine and authorizes grants to develop programs to assist children endangered by exposure to methamphetamine.

I have talked with countless law enforcement officials in the past years, and many tell stories of personal tragedy brought about by methamphetamine addiction and exploding budget deficits that result from the investigations, arrests, prosecutions and incarcerations of those who commit crimes associated with the drug. I believe this bill will go a long way towards helping law enforcement better pay for the fight against the effects of this horrible drug. Many other steps are necessary if we are to fully address this problem, including better drug treatment and drug education programs. You can count on me to continue to work for effective drug control programs.

Sincerely,

Barbara Boxer United States Senator

Hello Ms Boxer,

Methamphetamine is a scourge. However, the reason for it's popularity is it's basic effect(as anyone who has been in the military will tell you), it's ability to boost the bravado,or self-esteem of an individual.

In a society where more is never enough, enough money, enough "stuff", enough good looks... nice enough car, I'm afraid it's a scourge that will not pass soon, no matter what laws may be passed, no matter how draconian the mandatory sentence.

You will find no support from me for any criminal laws for the victims of this or *any other drug*. However, I would gladly support any effort to de-criminalize them and prioritize efforts at medical, psychological, and community based care of the victims of drug abuse in American society.

Leigh Meyers