foxy! Re: [lbo-talk] noonan on obama

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jun 30 06:50:26 PDT 2005

Jim Farmelant wrote:

>Good to hear it. Some of us, of course, had never forgotten
>how much Democrats suck.

I never did. As I said about a thousand times last year, what I was hoping for were some marginally better policies and a better discursive and organizing environment. Nothing more.

> Imagine, if you can, what
>would have happened if John Kerry was now sitting in
>the White House, instead of the guy from Crawford. I suspect,
>we would, right now, be debating whether Kerry's proposals
>to boost the number of US troops in Iraq would likely have
>any effect on the situation there, and we would probably
>be all be sitting here, debating the reinstitution of the
>draft, which would I supect would have occured under
>a Kerry Administration. I bet that you would have been
>really hating Democrats then.

And as I said about a thousand times last year, that was part of the point! There are a lot of left-of-center types who are looking to a Dem as a relief from the awfulness of W. There's nothing like a Dem in power to cure that illusion.

Watching Biden go on wishing the president success in Iraq, or Hillary parsing the merits of an anti-flag-burning law rather than a constitutional amendment - these make me want to scream.

Doug