[lbo-talk] Re: foxy!

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 10:55:41 PDT 2005

me: >>>>we have to plan now to dedicate all of our political energies to non-electoral activities in 2008.<<<<

Kelley:>>> who's we?<<<

me: >>People who see themselves as being on the left.<<

Kelley: > so what are 'we' planning to do? (i really hope you're not another one of those who believes that the people who engage in traditional politics would otherwise being breaking windows, marching in streets, and attending viewings of antiwar films in columbus.<

the last would be nice, since it's always great to see Yoshie. But in truth, what "we" would do is something that's open for discussion. Breaking windows doesn't seem helpful in any way, but I wouldn't refuse to read an argument that it's a good thing to do. In any event, I'd like to see what people on the list see as the best thing to do.

> can i do local electoral activities, or has the gang decided that's off limits, too?<

there ain't any gang represented on lbo-talk that decides what's right for you to do at any level -- unless the police/FBI are monitoring lbo-talk. It seems to me that local electoral activities are more productive than national ones (which are basically fixed, if it's going to be John Edwards or HRC against a more moderate version of Bushilla).

Michael Pugliese (sp?) says that the "Left is a ghetto." Sure, so is the Right. (The Bushies seem totally unwilling to listen to anyone, for example. It's almost cult-like.) At least a lot of the people on the Left are aware of this fact (to the extent that it's true). What is Mr. Pugliese proposing that people do about it? Join the Middle? Vote for Kerry or Kerry-equivalent? Carp about sectarian issues all the time? Start using mass mailings to raise funds? Move to Jonestown?

-- Jim Devine "Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti." (Go your own way and let people talk.) -- Karl, paraphrasing Dante.