[lbo-talk] I made it!

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 30 11:32:43 PDT 2005

Doug:

I'm tickled pink! I made Tomlinson's list of Now guests <http://www.npr.org/documents/2005/jun/cpb_pdfs/now.chart.pdf>

=================

Excellent.

This works out well for me too because now, instead of telling friends I invented that time-tested lovemaking technique, the 'finger swirling, lightly torqued reach and tickle' (whaddaya mean you haven't heard of it?) as part of vodka fueled efforts to come off all kinds of important, I can now truthfully claim to be that degrees-of-separation thing linked to yet another right-wing propaganda offensive.

And if you're pleased, imagine how happy Michael Berube is to be a target of Field Marshall Horowitz's UnReality Corps. Actually, you don't have to imagine:

We suspend this blog’s customary Friday Follies—the widely-popular Arbitrary but Fun Value Judgments—to bring you two special announcements.

One: After months of effort—much of which, as veteran readers will recall, was expended on this very blog—I have finally been accepted into the Inner Party. Yes, my friends, I have been awarded my very own page in David Horowitz’s “Discover the Network!” And it’s not just a perfunctory entry, either! Horowitz assigned somebody to read no fewer than five of my essays (even the one on Colson Whitehead’s The Intuitionist!), and Discover the Network provides links to all of them, including two .pdfs that come right from the “essays” section of this website. I am faulted for my “forbiddingly clotted prose,” and I’m described as someone who “believes in teaching literature so as to bring about ‘economic transformations.’” (The evidence for this last bit is provided in the fifth paragraph of the entry: “Arguing that the purpose of ‘cultural critics,’ among whose number he plainly counted himself, was to advance economic change, he wrote: ‘The important question for cultural critics, then, is also an old question—how to correlate developments in culture and the arts with large-scale economic transformations.’")

[...]

<http://www.michaelberube.com/index.php/weblog/now_i_know_my_life_has_meaning/

.d.

---------