[lbo-talk] a different kind of pseudoscience

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 14:08:40 PDT 2005

Bauer likes a lot of Shermer's work, but rejects his scientism, his dogmatic rejection of all pseudoscience. Bauer sees what's normally called "pseudoscience" as often being frontier science (and often being hoaxes,etc.) He sees a lot of it as simply harmless (like astrology columns in the newspaper), not something to be campaigned against the way Shermer does. In general, he sees Shermer and pseudoscientists as having a lot in common.

On 6/30/05, Tommy Kelly <tkelly15450 at charter.net> wrote:
> I have not had a chance to read Henry H. Bauer book, but judging from the
> first website Google had of his book -
> http://www.math.jmu.edu/~rosenhjd/shermer.htm - it doesn't look to good.
> However, if the author writes about Michael Shermer being a smug elitist
> twit, then I agree with him.

-- Jim Devine "Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti." (Go your own way and let people talk.) -- Karl, paraphrasing Dante.