[lbo-talk] Ever more opportunities....

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 17:42:15 PDT 2005

First, for Dennis Claxton:

> Don't know. What do you think about people dumb enough to spell tattooed
> with an apostrophe d?

I'd think the person is using a colloquialism, or an abridgement, if you prefer. ... and I just typed those words without use of a spellchecker.

I like "gonna"s sometimes as well.

joanna wrote that:

>> Leigh Meyers wrote:

>> Ya wouldn't suppose that people that are dumb enough to have an
>> advertisement tattoo'd on their foreheads have dumb kids too....

> I don't know that the problem here is that the poor are stupid. I
> think the mainstream press would label her "enterprising" -- just the
> way they labeled those kids who put up a lemonade stand to raise
> money for cancer treatments for one of their friends.
>
> Cause after all, we're an enterprising nation, if kids need an
> education, why then their parents can become tatooed billboards; if a
> kid needs medical care, then it's time to start squeezing lemons.
>
> Aren't free markets wonderful?
>
> Joanna

I'm assuming your tongue is firmly in cheek because I'm not equating poor and stupid.

Is she poor? No one's saying.

It's quite simply an incredible amount of pressure on the child to perform, passed off as a commitment on the part of mom.

I suppose her kid's gonna do really well in that shiny private school when all the kids in the playground find out about it.

When and if the child *does* fail or drop out... it's gonna be bad.

Will she get another tattoo for the kid's therapy when it's needed?

Leigh http://www.leighm.net