[lbo-talk] A Very Long Engagement: Draftees and Reluctant Volunteers

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Mar 2 09:33:34 PST 2005

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu, Tue Mar 1 11:04:07 PST 2005:
>>Philip Carter and Owen West write that "[v]olunteers outnumbered
>>conscripts by a 9-1 ratio in the units that saw combat during the
>>[Vietnam] war's early days in 1966" ("Iraq 2004 Looks Like Vietnam
>>1966," Slate, December 27, 2004). Altogether during the Vietnam
>>War, "1,728,344 men were drafted. Of the forces who actually served
>>in Vietnam, 648,500 (25%) were draftees. Draftees (17,725)
>>accounted for 30.4% of combat deaths in Vietnam" ("The Draft and
>>Historical Amnesia," VFW Magazine, March, 2003). In short,
>>conscripts were a minority during the Vietnam War.
>
>Any idea what percentage of the "volunteers" volunteered to try to
>improve their terms of entry?

See, for instance, Walter Y. Oi, "The Economic Cost of the Draft" (_The American Economic Review_ 57.2, <http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0002-8282%28196705%2957%3A2%3C39%3ATECOTD%3E2.0.CO%3B2-F>, May, 1967, pp. 39-62). Oi writes:

I scanned Table 4 of Oi's article and posted the scanned image at <http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/montages/WalterOiTable4Small.jpg>, so those who do not have easy access to _The American Economic Review_ can see it themselves.

In brief, the average percentage of true volunteers among the total regular enlisted men in their first term of service was estimated in 1964 to be 61.9%. The percentage of true volunteers among regular enlisted men who were 17-19 years of age and had less than high school education at entry was 79.3%; and that of true volunteers among regular enlisted men who were 17-19 years of age and high school graduates at entry, 63.7%. Those who were 17-19 years of age and had less than high school education at entry (27.7%) and those who were 17-19 years of age and high school graduates at entry (40.8%) constituted the majority of the DOD sample. Among those who were 20 and over and had some college education at entry (10.6% of the DOD sample) were the least likely to be true volunteers: only 32.7% of them said, "Yes, definitely," or, "Yes, probably," when asked the aforementioned question.

>In other words, there's a quasi-draft happening inside the military already.

You got it. What would be the likely result if the Pentagon conducted a survey today asking members of the National Guard and Army Reserve, "If you had no military obligation, do you think you would have volunteered for active military service?"

Give their age and family obligation, the percentage of true volunteers among guardsmen and reservists deployed or deployable in Iraq today would probably be as low as -- and perhaps lower than -- that of true volunteers among regular enlisted men who were 20 and over and had some college education at entry during the Vietnam War.

Keep in mind that "Today more than 40% of the 150,000 U.S. soldiers in Iraq are either National Guardsmen or reserves. By the end of the spring, that percentage is expected to rise to more than 50%" (Tempest, January 30, 2005).

That's why Military Families Speak Out, et al.'s campaign to call attention to the use of the National Guard is promising (cf. <http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20050228/004425.html>). -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * OSU-GESO: <http://www.osu-geso.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>