[lbo-talk] Query

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Thu Mar 3 13:00:28 PST 2005

A thoroughly disgusting if well-financed journal of Neocon Catholicism, with an ed board that includes a few fellow-travelers: while crying up their allegiance to integralist Roman catholicism, they're not above editing out inconvenient anti-capitalist remarks from the bishop of Rome (as the priest-editor, Richard John Neuhaus, did in his edition of a recent papal encyclical). They also managed to overlook the Vatican's take on the Iraq war. Some of them, such as Mary Ann Glendon, aren't stupid, but the character of the journal can be extrapolated from the work of the best known of them, Michael Novak. Their views are clearly of the sort that inspired the remark attributed to Jesus at Mark 8.33, directed to the leader of his students...

It comforts me a bit to recall that ideas are not responsible for the people who believe in them. --CGE