[lbo-talk] Defining Bullshit

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Fri Mar 4 07:07:04 PST 2005

MSN

Slate Magazine

Defining Bullshit

A philosophy professor says it's a process, not a product.

By Timothy Noah

Posted Wednesday, March 2, 2005, at 4:37 PM PT

"We live in an era of unprecedented bullshit production," observes Laura Penny, author of the forthcoming (and wittily titled) Your Call Is Important to Us: The Truth About Bullshit. But what is bullshit, exactly? By which I mean: What are its defining characteristics? What is its Platonic essence? How does bullshit differ from such precursors as humbug, poppycock, tommyrot, hooey, twaddle, balderdash, claptrap, palaver, hogwash, buncombe (or "bunk"), hokum, drivel, flapdoodle, bullpucky, and all the other adjectives favored by H.L. Mencken and his many imitators? The scholar who answers the question, "What is bullshit?" bids boldly to define the spirit of the present age.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2114268/