[lbo-talk] Japanese students can't place N.Korea

yellek oudeis at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 15:52:42 PST 2005

I didn't look into this in detail, but it was brought to my attention WRT the conversation about generational decline. I like the way Louis Kontos put it, since the idea that schools are nothing more than warehouses was put forth by Bowles and Gintis many moons ago. Schools were bad and getting worse. But then, that troubles me because I do know plenty of hard working teachers who really care.

Anyway, thought this article was interesting in relation to address Dwayne's question. Although, I'm more curious to hear from Matt (and anyone else) about what teachers should do to make things more exciting. I spent 5 years trying and I was even called upon to assist older profs with the job of improving their teaching. My observation is that it doesn't matter how you teach--old school, new school, high tech/low, applied knowledge or not, participatory learning or lectures, you still get the same, uh, ROI. :) WEll, actually, certain kinds of teaching take a great deal of time and, in fact, you get less ROI the harder you work at it since it rarely increases students' interest in the subject. But then, I have no hard stats for that one either, it's just an off-the-cuff observation.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/nm/20050223/od_uk_nm/oukoe_odd_japan_korea_north

Japanese students can't place N.Korea

Wed Feb 23, 3:08 AM ET

TOKYO (Reuters) - North Korea (news - web sites) has menaced Japan with missiles, kidnapped its citizens and stands between it and a place in the soccer World Cup finals, but one in four Japanese high-school students can't place the country on a map.

Only 76 percent of high school pupils in a survey by an academic body could locate the reclusive communist state, despite a daily bombardment of news about it in the Japanese media.

As for Iraq (news - web sites), where Japan has some 550 soldiers in one of the country's most controversial overseas deployments and where a Japanese was beheaded by kidnappers, over 40 percent of university students and high-school pupils couldn't find it.

"While students are interested in the news, they don't see it as important to know where the countries are," said Yumiko Takizawa, a geography professor at Teikyo University who ran the survey for the Association of Japanese Geographers.

"Inter-dependence and links between countries are ever more important," Takizawa said. "It's clear that an education system that teaches a proper knowledge of the world is needed."

The survey polled 3,773 students at 25 top universities and 1,027 high-school pupils at nine schools across Japan.

They were handed a world map with 30 numbered countries and asked to write the number corresponding to 10 countries that have recently featured regularly in the news.

It wasn't only small countries that didn't register, however.

Takizawa said that some students couldn't find the United States and located it in China, Brazil or the central African state of Congo. <http://www.inkworkswell.com>