[lbo-talk] Wal-Mart as Robin Hood

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 7 15:36:38 PST 2005

I'm tired of seeing all these articles in the mainstream press that say things like this -- that "the conventional criticism of Wal-Mart is that it's an insatiable capitalist juggernaut," etc. Ah, yes, all that "conventional criticism" we see so much everywhere in the media! Actually, I never see Wal-Mart criticized anywhere save for in the left-wing press -- from The Nation on over leftwards -- yet all defenses of Sam Walton's behemoth that I read in the mainstream media invariably include a phrase like: "The well-known complaint against Wal-Mart is that it exploits its workers ..." Oh, yes, that's well known!

I was involved with a group in 2000 that agitated on behalf of anti-corporate globalization issues. We photocopied brochures that highlighted how dangerous the WTO and IMF were for the world's poor. We'd give them to anyone who would take them. There wasn't much info out there about it. Then I would open up something like the Wall Street Journal and find an article touting globalization. The article would say, "We've all heard the arguments against globalization, but little do critics know ... " We had all heard the arguments against it!? Where!?

-B.

Doug posted an article that contained this hackneyed phrase:

> The conventional criticism of Wal-Mart is that it's
an insatiable
> capitalist juggernaut, reaping private benefit at
the expense of the
> public good. The view retains some currency, I
suspect, because many

===== "I'm not too worried by hegemony / I know the cadre will look after me" - Magazine, "Model Worker," 1978