[lbo-talk] Wal-Mart as Robin Hood

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Mar 7 15:50:25 PST 2005

B. wrote:

> I'm tired of seeing all these articles in the
> mainstream press that say things like this -- that
> "the conventional criticism of Wal-Mart is that it's
> an insatiable capitalist juggernaut," etc. Ah, yes,
> all that "conventional criticism" we see so much
> everywhere in the media! Actually, I never see
> Wal-Mart criticized anywhere save for in the left-wing
> press -- from The Nation on over leftwards -- yet all
> defenses of Sam Walton's behemoth that I read in the
> mainstream media invariably include a phrase like:
> "The well-known complaint against Wal-Mart is that it
> exploits its workers ..." Oh, yes, that's well known!

The Kansas City Star has this foaming-at-the-mouth capitalist named Jerry Heaster who serves as the primary op-ed writer for the business section. He's penned at least one pro-Walmart apologia since I moved back here. Heaster will boost anything capitalist or pro-developer no matter how hare-brained the scheme. He's kind of like a Wal-Mart discount version of Sebastian Mallaby.

Chuck