[lbo-talk] Russia Says Chechen Separatist Leader Maskhadov Killed

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 9 08:31:41 PST 2005

Maskhadov's bio is kind of tragicomic. An able military man, an absolute disaster as a statesman, marginalized by Islamists and criminal gangs, completely unable to take responsibility for the consequences of his actions, winds up being cursed by his people and dying in a basement, having been turned in by a local, with an army of precisely three people by him. It's kind of the ahort and ignominious history of Chechen radical nationalism in microcosm.

Komsomolskaya Pravda today ran a transcript of a telephone interview with Chechen security head Ramzan Kadyrov, which I translate and reproduce below. As always, Ramzan comes across as more macho than macho.

Hello, Ramzan? Can you confirm that Maskhadov has been liquidated?

Of course I can confirm it. Today is Women's Day -- it's a disgrace for a soldier to die on such a day!

When did it happen?

It started in the morning. WE planned the operation for a long time -- our collegaues and other power structures.

When, concretely, did it happen?

About 10 or 11 in the morning.

How long did the operation last?

It lasted for a minute. Not for long.

Maskhadov was in a bunker?

Yes.

Was there a guard with him?

His nephew was with him. Three men in all.

Who shot Maskhadov?

I think that his nephew or one of his guards shot him. He got scared and accidentally shot. And he died. Our fighters would not have shot him and would have tried to take him alive, so that Maskhadov could congratulate our women (CD -- i.e., Chechen women) on March 8 (Women's Day) and ask them to forgive him. We did not succeed, but, I hope, it will happen with Basaev.

(snip)

How have the taken the liquidation of maskhadov in the Republic?

One Satan less. What difference does it make if it's Maskhadov or someone else. Maskhadov means nothing to us. He is important to the West whether he is legitimate or not. For us he's the same as Basayev. His name means absolutely nothing to us. The people are tired of war, the people are tired of those who kill. The people were afraid of him. The only thing he was able to do was kill peaceful people.

http://www.kp.ru/daily/23474/37546/

Nu, zayats, pogodi!

__________________________________ Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday! Yahoo! Netrospective: 100 Moments of the Web http://birthday.yahoo.com/netrospective/