[lbo-talk] Over the shoulder-boulder holders

snitsnat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Mar 9 11:35:31 PST 2005

from another list. A story about Google founders and their plans for a lingerie line:

> First launched in July of 1996, Good Morning Silicon Valley is one of
>the longest running technology Web logs around. Written by John
>Paczkowski, it looks askance at the technology news of the day with an
>authoritative eye and irreverent wit. Trade words with John at
>jpaczkowski at knightridder.com.

http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/business/columnists/ gmsv/11073564.htm :

Google guys: plane crazy and underwear obsessed: Since we're on the subject of Google, I might as well mention what is likely the single best Google story to cross my desk in as long as I've been writing this column. Recounted by Vanity Fair columnist Michael Wolff at the 2005 SIIA Information Industry Summit in New York this past February, it's off-putting for all Wolff's self-aggrandizement, but it's really too amusing not to pass on. Plus it lends credence to my conviction that as much as Google founders Sergey Brin and Larry Page insist they're not distracted by their new wealth, they are. There's a large aircraft in each of their heads. And someday it will taxi out. (Thanks, Frank)

" A little less than a year ago I was out at a conference on the West Coast. And there was a guy at this conference who in New York we refer to as the mysterious billionaire. We have no idea what he does, but he lives in the largest private residence in Manhattan (Ed note: Gee, Michael, I wonder who that could be?). That's what everybody always says, that specific phrase: "He lives in the largest private residence in Manhattan." He also travels in a private plane, which I had once been on. I went out to Kennedy and there were all these G5s parked there. And I started to kind of move over to them, and the guy taking it out said no and shifted my attention to a 767.

I got on this plane first with some other people. And then the mysterious billionaire came on, followed by three teenage girls (not his daughters). At any rate, we're at this conference and it finishes and he's going to L.A. and offers me a ride on the plane. As a matter of fact, he says, you can sit up front if you want. So we go out. I follow him out to his car and then we're quickly followed by two other guys. It's Larry Page and Sergey Brin, whom I've met before, and we say hello.

And I said, "Are you going out to L.A.?" And they said, "No, we're just going out to see the plane 'cause we're going to get planes." So we all go out and see the plane. They run through the plane: "Isn't this cool, isn't this great? Can you do this? Can you do that?" And I suppose it's exactly how I would react if I were in the position to buy a 767.

But then the mysterious billionaire started to ask them about their business. And we sat down in this luxurious area of this plane with the three teenaged girls (a different set of three teenaged girls not his daughters), who are sort of serving hors d'oeuvres.

So we were talking about the Google business. But Larry Page and Sergey Brin didn't want to really talk about the Google business. They wanted to talk about another idea that they had. And the idea was -- this is an appropriate pause -- for Google underwear. And we spent the next hour sitting in this plane talking about the underwear business. We talked about Google boxers and Google briefs and the fortuitous circumstance that Google with the two 'Os' would make an incredible bra.