[lbo-talk] The Indispensable Avakian

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Mar 10 18:21:09 PST 2005

Michael Pugliese wrote:

> From Scott's column>...Meanwhile, another volume by Avakian is due
> this month from Open Court, an academic publisher in Chicago. Marxism
> and the Call of the Future: Conversations on Ethics, History, and
> Politics is a collaboration with Bill Martin, a professor of
> philosophy at DePaul University.
>
> Bill Martin is an good writer on the avant-garde sectors of rock
> and jazz. Was just reading his, "e Avant rock : experimental music
> from the Beatles to Björk / Bill Martin ; with a foreword by Robert
> Fripp.

Oh my god, this is toooo funny. Let me play Michael Pugliese for one email and bring you up to speed on Professor Martin. I'm laughing big time about this, because Martin is somebody I remember from my student activist days at the University of Kansas. He ran around with the leftists I was involved with. When I tell people that I hate philosophy professors, Bill Martin is the guy in my mental image. I remember Martin as a pompous intellectual who was full of himself. He was also known for being an asshole to his girlfriends.

I'm not surprised that this asshole is working with Bob Avakian. I can't imagine a more fitting punishment for the guy.

Chuck