[lbo-talk] The Indispensable Avakian

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Fri Mar 11 05:44:03 PST 2005

> From Scott's column>...Meanwhile, another volume by Avakian is due
> this month from Open Court, an academic publisher in Chicago. Marxism
> and the Call of the Future: Conversations on Ethics, History, and
> Politics is a collaboration with Bill Martin, a professor of
> philosophy at DePaul University.

Great! Just in time for May Day!

I used to read Avakian's screeds back in the day (Revolution Books on -- what was it, E 16th/17th St in Manhattan? Doug?). Laffs a'plenty! I recall one loooong piece about how armed US workers, using Mao's guerrilla strategies, could defeat the US military in urban areas. Y'can't say that Comrade Bob lacked a sense of humor!

Rev Books was like a religious bookstore (the cashier would ask for donations for the RCP, and were you a member? would you like to be one?), tho they did have some good tomes (I bought "The Strange Death of Liberal England" by George Dangerfield -- no relation to Rodney - there). And the anarchist books were in the back, under the sign "Left" Tendencies. But what I really liked was their poster deals. If you bought two Maos, you got a Stalin free!

DP