[lbo-talk] Marketing the Chronicles of Narnia

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Thu Mar 10 21:12:40 PST 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: "Max B. Sawicky" <sawicky at bellatlantic.net> -Anybody read these? I was thinking of -making them a present to my little one, -who is a voracious reader.

My absolute favorite books for years. I reread them more times than I can count, sometimes restarting them immediately after finishing the last one.

I didn't get the Christian symbolism for many readings, but then I had zero religious training as a kid, so didn't know what everything referenced. But the stories and writings were great.

I'd sit down and have a discussion with the kid before A HORSE AND HIS BOY, since the basic thrust of the story is that muslims worship what they think is god, but really they worship Satan. Not very hidden at all on that message and probably worth a bit of innoculation on that point given present realities.

But still, a great one. If you want an alternative, go with the Prydain series by Lloyd Alexander, with probably a better core ideological message.

Nathan

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of lbo at inkworkswell.com Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 1:52 PM To: Lame Brained Onanists Subject: [lbo-talk] Marketing the Chronicles of Narnia