[lbo-talk] Urgent: Calls Needed Now on Medicaid!

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Sat Mar 12 10:33:24 PST 2005

FYI

Dear Advocate,

The Medicaid budget battle has reached a critical stage--and we really need your help! There are Medicaid cuts of at least $15 billion in both the House and Senate budget resolutions. Our only hope of minimizing Medicaid cuts in the federal budget this year now rests with an amendment that Senators Smith and Bingaman will offer to strike Medicaid cuts from the Senate budget resolution. The vote on that amendment--the Medicaid vote of our times--could happen as early as next Tuesday. (Background information on the congressional budget process below.)

WE NEED AN OUTPOURING OF SUPPORT on behalf of this amendment.

WHAT YOU CAN DO:

* Call your Senators NOW--Toll-Free: It is critical to get as many people as you can to call your Senators this week. Urge them to support the Smith-Bingaman amendment to strike the Medicaid cuts. To make that call as easy as possible, we've set up a toll-free line that goes directly to the Capitol switchboard.

Here's the number: 1-800-828-0498

* After you've called your Senators, click here to forward this message to as many people as possible--we need as many calls to go to Senators as we can get! The number will remain active through the vote--which could happen as early as Tuesday, March 15. http://www.familiesusa.org/site/R?i=Xn5uxVY7H7ADRYvcWDDmjg..

* Write a letter to the editor. You can find tips for writing letters to the editor on our Medicaid Action Center.

http://www.familiesusa.org/site/R?i=x0qLMwlCEGIDRYvcWDDmjg..

Thank you for all your hard work during this fight!

Ron

HELP US SPREAD THE WORD: To forward this message to a friend or colleague, click here. http://www.familiesusa.org/site/R?i=hKgXICF-NxwDRYvcWDDmjg..

BACKGROUND: This week, the Senate and House Budget Committees passed budget resolution bills with substantial cuts in federal Medicaid funding. These cuts were even larger than those proposed by the President last month. (To learn more about the proposed Senate and House Medicaid budget cuts, click here.) http://www.familiesusa.org/site/R?i=UNy9uJdu-SgDRYvcWDDmjg..

Next, the budget resolutions will go to the Senate and House floors for a vote. (The floor votes could come as early as next Tuesday, March 15--two working days from today.) When the full Senate votes on the budget resolution, Senator Smith (R-OR) and Senator Bingaman (D-NM) will offer an amendment to strike the Medicaid cuts. (Click here to see the press release announcing Senator Smith's intentions to offer this amendment.) Since there's little hope for the House resolution, we have to make sure the Senate version has the smallest possible cut. That is why the expected Senate amendment striking down the cuts is so important. If the Smith-Bingaman amendment does not pass, we will have at least $15 billion in Medicaid cuts over the next five years. Our only hope of eliminating or reducing these cuts is to pass this amendment! http://www.familiesusa.org/site/R?i=VvxPYNwK5zYDRYvcWDDmjg..