[lbo-talk] AOL: all your messages are belong to us!

snitsnat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Mar 12 15:33:24 PST 2005

i don't do too much IMing--though I used to when the beau was stationed overseas. We were pretty cautious with it, even then. Now, they could probably do all kinds of fun stuff with IM messages. Just think of all the lame porn they could generate!

------ Forwarded Message Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 15:08:14 -0500 To: <dave at farber.net> Subject: AOL taking AIM beyond the pale - No Privacy At All

Hello Dave,

I have never used the AOL instant messaging client, I've never wanted to and with this latest event, it is extremely unlikely that I ever will.

A careful reading of the latest Terms of Service (TOS) contract reveals:

"...by posting Content on an AIM Product, you grant AOL, its parent, affiliates, subsidiaries, assigns, agents and licensees the irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide right to reproduce, display, perform, distribute, adapt and promote this Content in any medium. You waive any right to privacy."

http://www.aim.com/tos/tos.adp

AOL has made itself the black plague of messaging clients in my opinion, I'll certainly be pressuring my friends who use it to stop.

Reese

-

Ink Works http://www.inkworkswell.com 1+ (727) 942-9255

------ End of Forwarded Message