[lbo-talk] Paris shut down

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Mar 13 10:25:16 PST 2005

Nathan Newman wrote:

>I may share some of Doug's trepidations about bringing the Olympics to NYC,
>but why shouldn't one of the most diverse cities in the world be a good
>site for the olympics. I thought the NYC slogan, the "world's second
>home" and posters trumpeting the fact that teams from around the world
>would have a home team crowd at every event was pretty compelling.

The physical layout of NYC would make holding the Olympics here really difficult. Aside from that, Olympics are generally an occasion for big public subsidy - and gentrification and displacement.

"The world's second home" is a slogan I find incredibly annoying. What about those of us for whom it's our first home? We're chopped liver?

Doug