[lbo-talk] Paris shut down

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Sat Mar 12 12:56:44 PST 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shane Mage" <shmage at pipeline.com>
>Only an
>arrogant billionaire prick like Bloomberg could imagine NYC as
>a plausible site compared to Paris.

I may share some of Doug's trepidations about bringing the Olympics to NYC, but why shouldn't one of the most diverse cities in the world be a good site for the olympics. I thought the NYC slogan, the "world's second home" and posters trumpeting the fact that teams from around the world would have a home team crowd at every event was pretty compelling.

When I travelled to Europe and visited Paris back in 1990, I thought it and Prague were incredibly beautiful cities. But I loved coming back to American cities that, for all their fucked up politics and cultural wars, breathe a kind of diversity that European cities are only slowly starting to catch up with.

-- Nathan Newman