[lbo-talk] Re: dishing Sontag

Simon Huxtable jetfromgladiators at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 15 02:38:03 PST 2005

Sorry if someone has already posted this - I've been offlist for a long time and I did check the archives. I actually think the piece is not so 'catty', although the quotes I picked out below might challenge that view. If anything, it's proof that it's tiring being a full-time intellectual and that full-time intellectuals are tiring. Okay, I'm going to see one of those lesser-known Handel operas this week (Ezio, if you're interested), but too much intellectual activity necessitates going out and dancing.

You can find Castle's piece here: http://www.lrb.co.uk/v27/n06/cast01_.html

Sample quotes:

‘Yes, Terry, I do know all the lesser-known Handel operas. I told Andrew Porter he was right – they are the greatest of musical masterpieces’

'... I almost came a cropper when I confessed I had never listened to Janácek’s The Excursions of Mr Broucek. She gave me a surprised look, then explained, somewhat loftily, that I owed it to myself, as a 'cultivated person', to become acquainted with it. ('I adore Janácek’s sound world.') A recording of the opera appeared soon after in the mail – so I knew I’d been forgiven – but after listening to it once I couldn’t really get anywhere with it. (It tends to go on a bit – in the same somewhat exhausting Eastern European way I now associate with Sontag herself.)'

Simon