[lbo-talk] The Passion of the Tom

ThatRogersWoman debburz at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 15 16:00:18 PST 2005

[From www.houtopia.com. The entry for the 15th continues the DeLay watch, too.]

March 14, 2005

The Passion of the Tom

Today's WaPo reveals private worry, among Majority Leader Tom Delay's GOP colleagues, about the continuous public relations hits he has taken lately and how those might affect his long term political viability.

Of course, now that Brother Delay has removed those pesky Republican members of the Ethics Committee who actually took their jobs seriously, and replaced them with his cronies, he is less likely to have to face the music in the House of Representatives.

Still, this kind of private grousing by members of his own team can't be a confidence builder for Mr. Delay. As we have written, one man's misfortune is another's opportunity. Is he watching his back? Who will be the Bugman's Brutus?

Or maybe this is more Mel Gibson than Shakespeare. To date, Mr. Delay's public strategy has been to play that tired old right wing persecution card "those dirty liberals are just out to get me!" One can just see him, marching up Capitol Hill with a crown of thorns and the Cross on his back. Powerful image, no?

Houtopia finds it more than ironic that this pious and prayerful man, rather than accept any responsibility for his actions, would simply rather view himself as unfairly nailed to the Cross in this Easter season.

Tom Delay, doing God's work. Will he be a martyr for the cause?