[lbo-talk] Judeo-Christian Tradition/Myth/Ideology (was still being titled 'Narnia')

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 16 19:14:09 PST 2005

The term Judeo-Christian with its modern meaning -- religious and ethical principles shared by Judaism and Christianity -- is common currency by the mid-20th century, although the notion is also general in Patristic, Scholastic, and Humanist literature. Modern biblical studies (from the 19th century) make it clearer in the sense I mentioned earlier, that Christianity, Rabbinic Judaism, and Islam all stem (in that order) from the religion of ancient Israel.

OED2 notes a reference to "Judæo-Christian continuity" from 1899. The 1910 Britannica uses "Judaeo-Christianity" to refer to the first generations of Christians. But by 1939 a reference to "The Judaeo-Christian scheme of morals" clearly has the modern sense. The OED cites common examples from 1957 ("the Judaeo-Christian deity") and 1960 ("The religious zeal of Judeo-Christianity"). --CGE