[lbo-talk] Christian, Jewish groups campaign against planned Jerusalem gay festival

Bryan bryan at indymedia.org.il
Thu Mar 17 12:01:34 PST 2005

Christian, Jewish groups campaign against planned Jerusalem gay festival

Thursday, March 17th, 2005

Israel Insider

http://web.israelinsider.com/

Warning of divine retribution and possible violent protest, evangelical Christians and rabbis from the United States joined forces with ultra-Orthodox Jews in Israel on Wednesday to fight plans to hold an international gay festival in Jerusalem this summer.

The WorldPride Parade, last held in Rome in 2000, is a 10-day event including street parties, workshops and a gay film festival. Jerusalem's ultra-Orthodox Jewish mayor, Uri Lupolianski, says he is powerless to interfere, as public events are licensed by the police, not City Hall.

At a news conference Wednesday, California pastor Leo Giovinetti said hosting the 10-day World Pride event could bring divine retribution upon Jerusalem, citing the biblical story of Sodom and Gomorra as a precedent. Ultra-Orthodox Israeli lawmaker Nissim Zeev hinted at more earthly troubles.

"If they think they can party here in this city and carry out this provocation without hindrance, I think the police will be kept busy dealing with demonstrations," he said. "With demonstrations we never know how they end up, we know how they begin. Residents here are enraged. Everything should be done to stop this (event) and not cause people to break the law."

Mayor Lupolianski also sees a potential threat to public order in a city where religious feelings run high.

"(He) opposes the idea of holding the parade in Jerusalem, out of concerns that holding it in the holy city might instigate clashes," an English-language statement from his office said.

In the past, Israeli gays have held small marches in Jerusalem that have passed relatively peacefully, with a few shouted insults from onlookers and minor acts of vandalism.

This time the plan is for a major international happening, the Rome event attracted tens of thousands of participants.

Giovinetti, from San Diego, has a nationwide radio ministry in the United States which he says reaches millions of listeners. He is seeking a million signatures for a petition against the August festival, which he said is offensive to the values of all religious people and debases the sanctity of Jerusalem.

All 11 lawmakers from Zeev's Shas party have pledged to sign the petition. Benny Eilon of the right-wing National Union says he has promises of support from another 30 members of the Israeli parliament, including Muslim cleric Abdulmalik Dehamshe.

Giovinetti said that as a devout Christian, he felt bound to join with observant Jews to fight an offense to their shared traditions.

"I haven't come because I have hate for the homosexuals, I've come because I have love for the Jews," he said. "I believe that this march has been brought upon our Holy Land and that we're defending ourselves, not the aggressors."

The petition, drafted by Giovinetti, quotes the biblical book of Isaiah, (3: 8-9) as a warning against profaning the holy city: "Judah and Jerusalem will lie in ruins because they speak out against the Lord and refuse to obey him. They have offended his glorious presence among them...They sin openly like the people of Sodom."

Organizers of the festival, under the theme "Love Without Borders" say they want to promote coexistence.

"The holiness of Jerusalem does not come from manipulating religion to keep people away," said Hagai El-Ad, the director of Open House, the Jerusalem group that has organized local gay parades in the city. "Jerusalem's holiness comes from it being a city that can bring together all kinds of people," he said.

A majority of Jerusalem's more than 600,000 residents are either Orthodox Jews or Muslim or Christian Palestinians, traditional communities that oppose homosexuality.

New York Rabbi Yehuda Levin, representing the Rabbinical Alliance of America -- a group of 700 Orthodox rabbis -- said that throughout the world many traditional Jews, not necessarily Orthodox in their practice, were deeply offended at the idea of the planned Jerusalem event.

"This is not a parade. A parade takes a few hours. This is a 10-day homosexual convention with many outdoor activities and a 10-day pornographic film festival," he said.

Levin said that with the help of the powerful U.S. Christian lobby, the coalition plans to put pressure on Prime Minister Ariel Sharon and key Cabinet ministers.

"Whatever the police say about the festival, if those men don't want it to happen, it won't happen," he said.