[lbo-talk] US military loses family values. Officially.

Robert D. Day robertdd at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 09:47:52 PST 2005

Single Mother Deploys in Support of Operation Iraqi Freedom By Marine Corps Cpl. C. Alex Herron / 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing

AL ASAD, Iraq, March 17, 2005 — Cpl. Nicole Anderson, avionics technician, Marine Light /Attack Helicopter Squadron 269, began making her rounds in January to family and friends with her 2-year-old son before she deployed to Iraq. As the day to depart grew near she began to pack while her son curiously looked on, wondering what was happening.

It all started to make sense when young Damon Anderson and his grandfather, who is taking care of him during the deployment, drove the Marine to where her unit would depart Marine Corps Air Station, New River, N.C., for the Middle East. First the seabags were loaded, then a big hug from his mother. Anderson was going on a trip and she wouldn't return to him for several months.

“When I said good-bye to Damon, he started to cry,” the native of Laurel, Md., said. “It's tough but I know he is in good hands. I know this is good for us. With this experience I get more hands on work with the aircraft. Hopefully, I can get a similar job when I get out of the Marine Corps.”

FULL: http://www.defendamerica.mil/profiles/mar2005/pr031605a.html