[lbo-talk] Don't say "blogger" to U.S. Immigration -- or else [fs]

lbo at inkworkswell.com lbo at inkworkswell.com
Fri Mar 18 10:48:09 PST 2005

from Politech:

http://www.nevon.net/nevon/2005/03/dont_say_blogge.html

17 March 2005 Don't say 'blogger' to US Immigration

This sounds like an unbelievable story, but it happened to Canadian blogger Jeremy Wright last week.

As already reported on quite a few blogs, Jeremy was detained and interrogated by US Immigration when he arrived in New York last week for a meeting with McGraw-Hill to discuss a great business opportunity for Jeremy in the area of blogging.

It appears that the immigration people simply did not believe that Jeremy could make a living as a blogger. And they gave him the third degree - including an humiliating strip search - as a result for some hours. And banned him from entering the US.

Incredible. Jeremy wrote detailed commentary on his blog about his experience, but he's now pulled those posts (this post explains why).

While the details aren't yet clear on exactly why Jeremy had such an awful experience at the hands of the guardians of freedom and liberty (hard to get true irony here), this appears to be disgraceful behaviour on their part.

I met Jeremy in the US in January. Shel and I interviewed him for a podcast. You couldn't meet a nicer and more honourable bloke!

Hang in there, Jeremy. I bet McGraw-Hill will find a way to have that meeting with you.

Update 17 Mar: Jeremy has posted The End of The Story.

http://www.inkworkswell.com

"Be a scribe! Your body will be sleek, your hand will be soft. You are one who sits grandly in your house; your servants answer speedily; beer is poured copiously; all who see you rejoice in good cheer. Happy is the heart of him who writes; he is young each day."

--Ptahhotep, Vizier to Isesi,

Fifth Egyptian Dynasty, 2300 BC