[lbo-talk] M19 in New York City

Lance Murdoch lancemurdoch at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 11:22:31 PST 2005

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 13:37:19 -0500, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
> By the way, Liza & I have a piece in the new LBO ("Reflections on
> impotence") on the unwisdom of calling for actions that are doomed
> from the start - like the Million Worker March - that only underscore
> our weakness & marginality. I'm afraid this round of antiwar demos
> has done just that - it may have hurt the cause more than it helped
> it.

Right, because it really affected the pullout of Italy in Iraq. There is a world beyond the borders of the United States. The United States could barely handle Vietnam. Nowadays, the US market can start tanking because some mid-level Chinese or Korean bureaucrat expresses questions about the dollar or US debt. The US has ceded growth to Asia and R&D innovation to Europe, it has placed all its chips on the military, which of course is doomed to failure. If the US in the condition it was in the 1960s could barely handle Vietnam, imagine what Iraq would be. You study the US and world economy, you know what kind of shape things are in.

So the Democrats, the liberals, and the social democrats won't lift a finger to stop the war. People can see that only the communists are doing something, and, in NYC at least, a handful of people from the SPUSA, IWW, WRL etc. who ignore the liberal/socdem leadership. So if anything it is a political lesson.

If the entire American liberal/socdem leadership don't want to go out and try to stop this, I'll go out by myself if I have to, as long as I know that there are people around the world outside of the US fighting this. Even in Nazi Germany, the White Rose movement was active. They may have been doomed, but at least they forced the Nazis to concentrate resources on the Gestapo that could have been spent on spreading their evil to other countries. Or maybe the White Rose movement should have just put their hands in their pockets and shrugged their shoulders while they walked by the Auschwitz smokestacks - "Gee, if we do anything, it might just underscore our weakness and marginality".